Thread: newly rebuilt 345 smokes

Default newly rebuilt 345 smokes

I got the 345 installed in the scout and it runs good but....it is smoking on the left side facing the engine and the oil pressure is very high...like all the way over to the right as far as it will go. I really is running good and I haven't let it run a long time till I figure out what's up...maybe 30 minutes total...Ideas???? I put new pistons rings crank and eveything in...had it bored and all that. rebuilt oil pump, new water pump etc....I hope I don't have to tear it down.....

Have you thought about the fact that the gauge, wiring or sending unit could be bad?? I would buy a mechanical gauge and install it to see what the real pressure is. As for the smoking where?? is the left side where the engine used oil before ?? could be oily gunk in manifolds or exhaust pipe or mufflers. I have seen rebuilt engines that took a few weeks to burn all the crud out of the exhaust system so it could quit smoking.
    73 1210 4x4 Travelette 5 spd. 392
    300 utility tractor
    64 Scout 80-152/ weber 32/36
    80 PARTS for 2 scouts
    73 Scout2, 304.4 spd. runs almost rust free!
    Member, Sonora Desert Scouts

This scout has been sitting since 96. I never had it cranked before the rebuild so I don't know about the gauge. I can put another gauge on it to check the oil pressure. Someone just told me that the oil pressure may drop after it runs awhile, I was just being cautious till I find out. Very possible there is gunk in the manifolds after sitting that long. Someone also said I may have a ring in upside down....It sure is running good though...just don't like that smoke. No water showing up in oil....it's kind of a blue gray smoke, not black.