Thread: what else?

Default what else?

i was wondering what else could i put in a scout II for an engine? i'm only 16 and i can't afford driving around a 345 that does 14 mpg lol i need somthing more economical perhaps over 20? what v6 or even v8 does over 20 mpg??

cam

The inline 6 could push pretty close to 20 if you had it in front of a 4 speed stickshift. Not a whole lot else out there unless you're dedicated enough to do a lot of conversion work like for a Chevy 305 or 350 mated to a 700r4. But, since money is an issue for you, those aren't going to be very economical choices. Big $$ in a swap like that.

The scout weighs what it weighs, and it has the wind resistance (drag) of a brick.

Forget 20 mpg. Only a diesel will do that for you in a vehicle that weighs this much. No matter what, unless you are a skilled mechanic who can do a major conversion, it will not happen.

14 mpg at 140K miles is 10,000 gallons of gas.
    20 mpg at 140K miles is 7,000 gallons of gas.

At 3 bucks a gallon, that's 9,000 dollars in savings over the next 10 years, or 900 bucks a year, assuming 14k miles a year.

Any swap you make will cost you 3 grand or more with all the misc details you will need, and that's with a free engine. Don't forget, diesel means new fuel system and exhaust in addition to the things that happen when you adapt engine/transmission/transfer case.

Keep the IH engine well tuned. Properly maintained, it will last longer than you and be cheaper to own than anything you could do upgrading it. It will be cheaper to rebuild the IH engine when it needs it than to adapt to an engine that is from something else.

Having said that, you can get a couple of mpg by spending about 1200-1500 bucks fuel injecting it. It isn't hard to adapt a late 80s throttle body injection to this engine.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

that's exactly what i was thinking. im sure i can get a conversion kit for a 345 for around 1500 bucks or so im guessing? so that could save me alot of money in the future. im in canada where gas is at least a buck 10 a liter on good days! if im getting say 15 mpg that's only 15.5 l/ 100km which frankly sucks. what conversion kits do u suggest?

cam

Where is the best place to get a fuel injection conversion for a 1970 Inline 6?

I'll answer two questions, since they are so closely related:

For the 345, you can use the EFI system from a chevy pickup with a 305 or 350 (5.0 or 5.7) from the late 80s or early 90s. There are several write ups on it on the justIH dot org site and on binderplanet dot com. Look for posts by Bill-USN1. He lives in the NW Washington area if you are in BC and is a great guy. Lots of folks in the region.

For the 6 cylinder in a scout, it's a jeep engine, a 232 (later have the 258) cubic inch AMC 6. The jeep sites have a ton of information about injecting one. You can often find other engines that will bolt right in because it has the AMC bell housing used on the 6 and the 8 cylinder AMC engines, like the 304, 360, and 401.

The key to injection is to have all the parts and the harnesses. The trick is to make it a "power up and sensor input" project. It's complicated, but that is because you have to deactivate the advance mechanism for the distributor and rig some sensory input, like an oxygen sensor for the exhaust.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I like the 345 better than any engine I have had. since getting mine back in the scout I have only been about 500 miles or so but it just gets better each time out. Tough.

You could install the Hybrid T18/t20 trnasfer case and over drive from Herm the overdive guy. It will get you close to the 20MPG mark if you are presently getting 14 mpg.
    1971 Half Cab Scout II
    1968 Camaro
    2001 Silverado Z71
    2007 Softtail deluxe
    1988 Sportster Custom rigid frame