Thread: upside down compression ring

Default upside down compression ring

would an upside down compression ring cause my rebuilt 345 to smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    would an upside down compression ring cause my rebuilt 345 to smoke?
    No it would not cause that, only lower the compression a bit until after it wears in. Only a improperly installed oil ring would do that. I have seen engines where someone installed all 3 pieces with the gaps carefully lined up. A really dumb mistake and one I hope you did not do the ring gaps are to be staggered as per the directions. Usually the center spacer is lined up with the wrist pin and the top and lower ring 45 or 90 degrees left and right of the wrist pin.
    73 1210 4x4 Travelette 5 spd. 392
    300 utility tractor
    64 Scout 80-152/ weber 32/36
    80 PARTS for 2 scouts
    73 Scout2, 304.4 spd. runs almost rust free!
    Member, Sonora Desert Scouts

No I am quite confident that I staggered the gaps and pretty sure that I got the rings in correct...I switched the pcv hose from the rear of the motor vac to the port on the front of the carb and the smoking stopped. I have the heater core out and am not sure how to run the hoses now. It's running hot and the bottom radiator hose doesn't get warm...not flowing. I took the thermostadt out but put it back in...it could be faulty. There are 2 small water ports on the water pump I assume one is send and one return. Should I just hook them together till I get a heater core? What about the ports on the rear of the engine? One day I'll get it right.