Thread: need advice on possible purchase

Default need advice on possible purchase

Hello all, new to the forum. I have already found a lot of answers to questions.
    Thanks.
    Here's the deal, I had a 72 Scout II back in the day and I am looking to get back into it. I have found an 80 local. I have included the pics I took and would love it it you all could look them over and tell me your opinion.
    He wants $2300 firm. It started out as a diesel and has been converted to gas (304). He has flipped the axles to give it it's lift. The tires are almost new. He has a soft top but no hard top..................
    That's all I can think of.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks

Last edited by florida; 04-10-2009 at 11:40 AM.

here's some more pics (had to figure out how to do it)

one more

Default not bad

a little rust in the normal spots. where's the front driveline? and why is it missing. a few leaks underneath a little more the normal maybe rear seal just becarefull about conversions we have heard many horror stories the po (previous owner)did on the scout drive it and see what you think if he will lets you take it to a shop let them check it out good luck

Take a close look at that rust to see how serious it is. Looks like some places are rusted through.

That front steering linkage looks sketchy too, check the quality of the welds and fabrication on the suspension. If anything looks like it was cut out with a torch and the edges are not ground smooth, run away, that's lazy fab work.

Were the knuckles cut and turned? Is the diff at the correct angle? Maybe that's why there's no front driveshaft.

Does the engine swap look decent? Or are there hose clamps and duct tape all over the place. The rear main seal is leaking and the exhaust isn't finished. (all the way out the back)

I wouldn't pay $2300 for it, definitely not without a hard top, but I'm spoiled, I'm in California, we don't see much rust out here.
    Last edited by That Guy; 04-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks for the replies.
    The swap looks pretty good. Took it for a drive and it seemed to run ok.
    Didn't think about the angles on the front drive. I could ask if he could put it back and take it for another spin. As far as the knuckles, I'm pretty sure all he did was change the setup so the leaf springs are over the axles instead of under them.
    And, he did tell me the rear main was leaking, so I can't fault him on that one.
    As far as the top, he has a full soft top and here in Florida it's not going to get cold enough to need the hard top.
    Bottom line is, I'm sure I can take care of what it needs, it's just that I haven't even tried to price one in such a long time that I'm not sure if the price is where it should be.

Default Buy it

Hey, its not my money!!!
    Just kidding, it really all depends on what you plan on doing with it yourself. As something to clean up and pass on I would'nt touch it. If you just want something to drive and thrash on a little bit in the mud go for it. The price is not any screaming good deal but your not getting ripped either. You can count on a bunch of work on that front axle to get that driveshaft back in there properly. Properly is the key word here. You might be able to get away with a custom CV driveshaft from either JE Reel out of the San Diego area or Tom Woods. Most likely your looking at least at another 1000.00 to get that axle cut and turned and all the other little stuff fixed. Good luck and have fun. Later, Paul
    Black Smoke Customs is now open in Rock Island, Tennessee. We are addicted to International's and Cummins B series motors. The only thing we don't do is paint and body,,,yet.
    We support ASE Certification.

I appreciate all of the responses. I think I'll pass on this one, put the money back, and keep looking. I really want one, just don't have a lot of extra cash to put in one once I get it.

Thanks again.