Thread: Electronic ignition on 1977

Default Electronic ignition on 1977

I think my 1977 scout has electronic ignition. It has the gold box on the fire wall. The reason I am asking is she ia very hard to start in the cold colorado mornings. Would putting a new Pertronix Ignitor Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit Help getting her started or do I all ready have the electronic ignition and need to do something else. Alan E. you have been very helpful from all you previous post. Thanks

i just replaced my 77 electronic ingnition with a dui (davis unified ) great replacement ,but very tight fit, still have all my ignition parts plus brand new gold box.

i just replaced my 77 electronic ingnition with a dui (davis unified ) great replacement ,but very tight fit, still have all my ignition parts plus brand new gold box. you might check the air gap in the dist., but if it runs i would think you might have a choke adjustment problem,or carb adjustment.

Yeah, a new ignition never hurt, but if anything is actually "wrong" with your scout, it's probably a mixture problem if it starts hard in the winter. Most likely a choke problem. Check to make sure that when you set the choke (by pumping the gas once before you turn the truck to "on") that the choke is fully closed. Then go about making sure all your tuning parts (i.e. spark plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, etc) are all in good condition. If it still starts hard, check the timing too. Colorado is high enough altitude that you can advance the timing a little to get better performance from the stock tuning.